Wycliffe with Thorpe Parish
Wycliffe with Thorpe is a very small, rural parish (electoral role approx 70), about 6 miles from Barnard Castle in the heart of Teesdale. It has some interesting history and attractions:
River Tees - the northern boundary to the Parish and the site of an ancient crossing point over the river (originally by a ford and a ferry) from North Yorkshire to County Durham. The crossing is now by
Whorlton Bridge - a single link chain suspension bridge, built in 1831, which is Grade 2 listed and is believed to be the only surviving bridge of its kind in the country.
Wycliffe - a small hamlet beside the river Tees. It is believed to be the birthplace of John Wycliff, the first translator of the bible into English. St Mary’s Church dates from 1250, but the site was used for worship from at least the 7th century.
Boot and Shoe Cottage - The historic Boot & Shoe Cottage is one of a row of cottages that lies on the southern bank of the river Tees at an ancient ferry crossing from Yorkshire to Durham. The cottage, which has a colourful past combining use by a cobbler and as a pub, has now been restored to a high standard with original wall cupboards, beams and fireplaces retained.
Wycliffe Hall -
The Teesdale Way - a footpath following the Tees from its source in the Pennines to its mouth at Middlesborough passes over Whorlton Bridge.