St Mary’s Church
Although the present church is about 800 years old (built between 1250-1260) the present building and contents represent the craftsmanship of 13 Centuries.
Part of shaft of Celtic Cross, probably set up by those who brought faith to this area.
Lintel of doorway possibly of the first church built here.
Hogsbank tombstone - part of a Danish burial mound dug up on north side of the church in 1801.
Part of another Anglo-Danish cross with some interlaced carving on the front.
To the left of the alter an ancient font, very probably the font in which John Wyclif was baptized.
Stone alter, something of a rarity as most were removed and destroyed during the reign of Edward VI. Window glass by pulpit.
Old oak bishops chair with canopy. Glass in windows on the south side of nave and chancel.
Tomb of John Foster, rector from 1435-1456 between choir stalls. Glass in south side of nave and chancel.
Original portrait of John Wyclif on loan to Bowes Museum, reproduction at rear of church.
Three memorial brasses in sanctuary floor. Two church bells, one of which is dated 1607.
Several boards of bearing coat of arms, text and Lord’s prayer. Three outstanding spider chandeliers.
Marble font, designed for church, presented 1898.
East and West windows. Alter cross and candlesticks. Choir stalls and pews by Thompson (mouse man) of Kilbur.