Wolsingham - Part 2
The Parish Church dedicated to St Mary and St Stephen dates back to 11th century. It was almost entirely rebuilt in 1848 although some of churches Norman work still remains. The Parish registers themselves date from 1655 . John Wesley preached at Wolsingham several times between 1764 and 1790 from a rough stone pulpit at the rear of Whitfield House. It was about 1788 when the first Wesleyan Meeting House was built on the west side of Meeting House Lane. The present Chapel was built in 1836 where the Sun Inn originally stoodThere is also in Wolsingham a memorial to Roman Catholic priest John Duckett marking the spot where he was arrested before being taken to Tyburn where he was executed in 1644. There is a strong Roman Catholic Church and Convent in the town.
A Grammar School was established in 1614 and in 1911 a new building was opened . It is now part of a split site Comprehensive school. There are many old buildings of interest in the town some dating back well over 200 years.
The Railway came to Wolsingham in 1847 but is no longer in use.The old station is now a private house.
Wolsingham - Part 3